Sonntag, 1. März 2015

How to make Eclairs with a Kutsuwa mold - Air Dry Clay - Tutorial


Hello guys, in this tutorial I'll show you, how to make cute Eclairs with a Kutsuwa mold.
I've noticed that some people had problems to get good and more real looking results, while working with molds. But with just a few easy steps, you can make really great charms.

I hope you can follow my instructions and if you have any questions, you can leave a comment down below. :)


You'll need:
Fimo Air Light and cold porcelain,
the Kutsuwa mold from the picture,
acrylic paints (ochre, brown sienna, white and light pink),
red eye shadow,
a toothbrush, toothpicks, a knife, a ball of aluminium foil, a rolling pin, a paintbrush, a small bowl, a paper towel and a cotton swab,
baby oil or mold oil,
water,
wood glue,
silicone (or fake whip cream) and a piping bag+tip

Step 1: Color the Fimo Air Light with a bit of  the ochre acrylic paint and prepare the mold with the baby oil. Because of the baby oil, the clay won't stuck in the mold.
Roll the clay into a thick and short snake and place it into the mold. Now press the two mold pieces together.


Remove any excess and take the clay out of the mold. If there are still little excess edges, smooth them with your fingers.


Step 2: Use the toothbrush and the aluminium ball to make the texture.


Step 3: With a toothpick we make some marks into the Eclair. Make a texture with the toothbrush into the marks too. Let it dry for about 4 hours.


Step 4: The cute ribbon bow we make out of the Cold Porcelain. Color the Cold Porcelain with a light pink paint, then roll it out really thin and cut out a thin and short strip with the knife (or a long blade).


Place two toothpicks on your strip and fold the edges over the toothpicks. Cut out a another small and very thin strip and place it on the middle of your bow.


Cut out a another long strip and cut it into two halves. Wrap the two strips around two toothpicks.
Let it dry for about 24h.


Step 5: Out of the Cold Porcelain we also make four strawberry halves. Press the white clay into the mold and remove any excess. Carefully press some clay on the strawberry to remove the piece out of the mold.
The red color is made out of red eye shadow (to get a little shiny color). I applied the color with a paintbrush, but it's easier to do it with an eyeshadow sponge.
Let your strawberries dry for about 24h.


Step 6: After about 4h, we cut the Eclair into two halves. Don't press the clay too strong while cutting, because the inside of your Eclair is still soft.
Texture the inner of your Eclair too (use the toothbrush and the aluminium ball). Let the pieces dry again for about 20h.


Step 7: After your eclair is dry, take a small bowl and fill in some of the ochre acrylic paint. Also add some brown sienna on the edge of you bowl. Add a bit of water to your ochre color and mix it together. Dip your brush into the color and clean the brush a bit with a paper towel (do not mix in the brown sienna color, that we need to do later).


With the yellow color you paint the complete outsides of the Eclair halves. Then mix some of the brown sienna into the watery color mix, to get a darker color. Now paint just the edges of your Eclair halves and do not use too much of paint! Don't forget to clean your brush after dipping into the color, otherwise you have to much paint on your brush and your Eclair won't look real and also too colorful.


Step 8: Fill your Eclair with silicone or fake whipped cream as shown in the video. Place three strawberries on the cream and put some wood glue on the inner side of the upper part of your Eclair (don't use glue, if you have used silicone as filling!). Now put the two halves together.


Step 9:  For the chocolate glaze I used handmade liquid clay. The tutorial you can find here: Click!
Add the liquid clay with a toothpick on the top of the Eclair.


Step 10: While the glaze is still wet, glue the ribbon bow together and add it on the top of the Eclair. Also add your last strawberry and a rhinestone.
 Let it dry again for about 24h to 48h, then glaze it and you're done.

Kommentare:

  1. Amazing tutorial! It looks so sweet!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thank you for making this tutorial!! It really helped me out a lot!! I really appreciate it!! ^______^

    Have you used polymer clay with the Kutsuwa mold? Does air dry clay work better for the Kutsuwa mold than the polymer clay? I am having trouble removing the polymer clay from the mold even with the mineral oil... >____<

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Unfortunately I have never used polymer clay with the Kutsuwa mold. But I guess, polymer clays are more sticky as the most air dry clays. Also polymer clay can dissolve some types of plastic and I'm not sure out of which plastic the mold is made.

      If the oil doesn't work, maybe you should try to use cornstarch? :)

      Löschen
    2. That's a great idea, I didn't think to use cornstarch! I will try that next time if my polymer clay won't come out of the mold! I will also be careful not to leave my polymer clay in the mold, I don't want it to dissolve my mold! TT^TT

      I'm sorry to keep asking you questions, but would you have a recipe for homemade cold porcelain or air dry clay that works the best for you? I've seen some where after some time it starts to grow mold!! >___<

      Löschen
    3. I hope the cornstarch will help. :)

      No problem, you're welcome.
      I'll upload a cold porcelain recipe in the next few days. Maybe it works better for you. ^^

      Cold porcelain can become moldy if you store it wrong (for example at a dark place like a drawer). Cold porcelain should be stored in a well lighted area. But perhaps the recipe was not good - too moist or something like that.

      Löschen
    4. Awesome! Thank you so so much! I look forward to trying your recipe! I'm also so excited to try cold porcelain that won't grow moldy! I never knew which recipe would work the best because there's kinds that you cook in a microwave or on a stovetop and others that you don't cook at all. :\ I also never knew you needed to store it in a well lighted area! I will definitely make sure I do that though! ^____^

      I have been having a bunch of trouble with polymer clay lately, I keep getting SOO much lint and dirt in my clay and it's really really frustrating! :( I use rubbing alcohol to get off what I can, but it bugs me when I find some lint that I missed after it's already been baked. D:

      Löschen
    5. I know what you mean. I had the same problem at the beginning too. But sometimes it's just good to try something, so you can see if it works for you or not. ^^

      Yes, polymer clays attracts dirt like a magnet. I also had a lot of trouble with polymer clays - they're hard, have a bad texture and it's too complicated to hold them clean.
      At first I loved my polymer clays, but after using air dry clay for the first time, I've never used polymer clay again. ^^
      However, many people prefer polymer clays, because they think that many air dry clays are too soft, need too long to dry and something like this. But everyone has a different taste. I certainly hope that you can work better with air dry clays. :)

      Löschen

EVE - Wall-E